Meeker Sheriff Candidate Jon Thoma

October 15, 2014
By Ford Peterson
Dassel, MN

The upcoming Meeker County Sheriff’s election is important. For the first time in decades, the voters of Meeker have the opportunity to elect a Sheriff from two candidates, neither of which have an “Incumbent” moniker.

I make it no secret that I have supported Brian Cruze in this election. I also make it no secret that I have concerns about Jon Thoma becoming our Sheriff for the next four years. The controversy and rumor swirling about Thoma’s departure from Sacred Heart makes this a concern for every citizen in Meeker.

The Sheriff holds a special place of trust in Minnesota state law. The office of Sheriff is empowered with resources and entrusted to enforce our laws and protect our people from those who choose to break it. Our Sheriff must be a steadfast advocate for the rule of law and the protection of due process. This advocacy must start with good judgment and high moral character.

Jon Thoma becoming Sheriff is of great concern to me.

I took the time today to document just one of the many rumors by obtaining the Renville County Sheriff’s report regarding the apparent suicide of a Mr. David Wade Reiten on December 3, 1991 in Sacred Heart, MN. Jon Thoma was the Chief of Police for Sacred Heart, one of the first on the scene, and a frequent visitor to the home of Mr. Reiten’s estranged wife. The circumstances are horrific. The descriptions of the scene are offensively graphic. But many facts become known after an investigation into the circumstances surrounding this incident. Unfortunately, many questions remain. There is conflicting testimony. Most unfortunate is that the investigator failed to take a formal statement from Mr. Thoma. It is apparent on reading the investigator’s interrogation of the estranged wife that the Chief Deputy and Mr. Thoma had exchanged dialog that never made it to this report. Of particular note is the Chief Deputy’s statements during this same interrogation.

Grave concerns…

The report is 72 pages long. One of the most important elements of this report are in Thoma’s own words the day of the incident, a February 1992 interrogation of the estranged wife, and a friend in January 1992—all of which appear towards the end of the report. Comparing Thoma’s report to the investigator’s report of first-hand testimony collected from those at the scene and interrogated by independent investigators during the following 3-month investigation.

You can find a PDF of the Renville County Sheriff’s report here:

InvestigationReportRenvilleSheriff.pdf

You can find my notes as to how I obtained this copy here:

MyInvestigationNotesFinal.pdf

Tags: ,

13 Responses to “Meeker Sheriff Candidate Jon Thoma”

1. Lori Musolf says:

Swayback, what aren’t you using your REAL name? What are you scared of? Are you Jon Thoma in disguise? I have no problem using my real name and standing up for what I believe in. I believe that Thoma is poison and that his ‘credible’ history is a crock of bull. I think Hirman and Norlin are just as poisonous, likes snakes slithering through the grass. Some people like snakes, some people are scared of them and some people despise them. It isn’t common for the FBI to investigate and rip apart a town the size of Litchfield unless they have some damn good information. Just because people were not prosecuted doesn’t mean that they haven’t committed a crime and if you don’t believe that, then maybe you aren’t very intelligent. Look at our judicial system. Look at who originally hired Thoma to work in Meeker County? With that being said, do you know anything about suicide? Do you realize that David had VERY few ‘symptoms’ of suicide behaviors. Maybe check out this site for some thought. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001554.htm
    I think Taco or whatever his name is, had some very good questions. As for your comment on the ‘other’ site, quit with your lies. The ‘other’ site you are referring to I’m sure is the facebook page Eyes on Meeker that I started and admin. If we were only posting comments that work for us, why the hell would we allow any Thoma supporters to post his crap? Really? Your comments are a little ‘swayed’. You may have the opinion that Thoma has a ‘good reputation’ and in my opinion I disagree with that completely. It is my understanding that it wasn’t only the death of David Reitman, the talk about minor females that he was involved with, the being forced to resign, etc. etc. that ruined his reputation, it is his current fakeness that also protrudes from every bone in his body. If Thoma has nothing to hide, why has his site changed and numerous dates, etc. been removed. Thoma obviously doesn’t want people to know what actually happened in Sacred Heart. He was using his experience in that community as a reason he would make a great sheriff. I am appalled at the reports and anyone who has ever done an investigation ( I have done numerous ones for my past employers) knows that the investigator in these reports shut the case down prior to a final analysis report which should have been filed and further investigations should have been completed. This investigation should have been turned over to another county to avoid a conflict of interest. Why was Thoma’s fingerprints on the trigger? Really? Anyone that knows guns or handles guns should know better, especially someone in law enforcement. You DON”T put your finger on the trigger of a gun unless you are shooting someone or something. Why was evidence released to him? Why didn’t Thoma recuse himself from this case? Thoma should have known better!!! As far as Thoma’s affair, I understand that according to a family member, Nicole and Thoma were involved BEFORE she left David. How is that NOT an affair? This isn’t a desperate attempt at anything, this IS allowing the public the real TRUTH about Jon Thoma!

2. Ford says:

Swayback, and others…

This blog belongs to me. It’s good to be King. Comments are moderated and I’m more than happy to post any reasonable posting that holds the truth in high esteem and are respectful of the opinions of others.

With that being said, I cannot control how others want to represent their opinions. It is my strong opinion that only those with the moral strength of character to state that opinion, and the fortitude to defend their opinions, should see the light of day. If this blog is to double as a sounding board for opinions of the community, then it is clearly best if those commenting used their identity. Swayback, taco, sway, Litchfield, and Dassel are nothing more than trolls encouraged and upset by the truth seeing the light of day. Their trolling comments are therefore credited with an appropriate level of contempt. If they speak truth, then truth speaks for itself, regardless of their moniker.

3. swayback says:

Taco tues- how was it a so called affair? the women was separated from her husband and living apart. I wouldn’t call that an affair.
    Sounds as if the man drank a lot , threatened suicide several times and eventually followed through with his threats after she served him divorce papers the day prior. Some one who threatens to harm themselves several times is in desperate need of some mental health care which unfortunately no one sought out.
    I’m curious to know why Taco Tues was not called out for his fake name as Ford did Dassel ” doesn’t have the moral fortitude, or the strength of character, or the confidence, to actually come forward and put his/her name to their “opinion.” Instead, they troll anonymously and use strawman arguments to support their posting.”
    This site isn’t much different then the ‘other’ site, they monitor comments and only post what works for them.
    This is in fact another desperate attempt to damage some ones good reputation and to sway a vote the way you would like people to vote, If I don’t recall you tired the same antics with Hirman and Norlin when they ran.
    Its so obvious.

• Lori Musolf says:

Swayback, what aren’t you using your REAL name? What are you scared of? Are you Jon Thoma in disguise? I have no problem using my real name and standing up for what I believe in. I believe that Thoma is poison and that his ‘credible’ history if a crock of bull. I think Hirman and Norlin are just as poisonous, likes snakes slithering through the grass. Some people like snakes, some people are scared of them and some people despise them. It isn’t common for the FBI to investigate and rip apart a town the size of Litchfield unless they have some damn good information. Just because people were not prosecuted doesn’t mean that they haven’t committed a crime and if you don’t believe that, then you aren’t very intelligent. Look at our judicial system. Do you know anything about suicide? Do you realize that David had VERY few ‘symptoms’ of suicide behaviors. Maybe check out this site for some thought. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001554.htm
      I think Taco or whatever his name is, had some very good questions. As for your comment on the ‘other’ site, quit with your lies. The ‘other’ site you are referring to I’m sure is the facebook page Eyes on Meeker that I started and admin. If we were only posting comments that work for us, why the hell would we allow any Thoma supporters to post his crap? Really? Your comments are a little ‘swayed’. You may have the opinion that Thoma has a ‘good reputation’ and in my opinion I disagree with that completely. It is my understanding that it wasn’t only the death of David Reitman, the talk about minor females that he was involved with, the being forced to resign, etc. etc. that that ruined his reputation, it is his current fakeness that also protrudes from every bone in his body. If Thoma has nothing to hide, why has his site changed and numerous dates, etc. been removed. Thoma obviously doesn’t want people know what actually happened in Sacred Heart. He was using his experience in that community as a reason he would make a great sheriff. I am appalled at the reports and anyone who has ever done an investigation ( I have done numerous ones for my past employers) knows that the investigator in these reports shut the case down prior to a final analysis report which should have been filed. Why was Thoma’s fingerprints on the trigger? Why was evidence released to him? Why didn’t Thoma recuse himself from this case? Thoma should have known better!!! As far as Thoma’s affair, I understand that according to a family member, Nicole and Thoma were involved BEFORE she left David. How is that NOT an affair? This isn’t a desperate attempt at anything, this IS allowing the public the real TRUTH about Jon Thoma!

4. Litchfield says:

Intuition I guess, uncomfortable with this candidate before, but this confirms my position. Seems less signs out than before, maybe word is out. If not, how does word get out to others.

5. How does a discharged shot gun fired to the head come to rest in a standing position leaning against the victim’s body?

Why did Jon Thoma remove the spent shell? In doing so, and intentionally in front of others, explanation for his fingerprints on the weapon are explained.

dick m

6. Taco Tuesday says:

> here is a pretty comprehensive analysis of the report.
    > -Responding to, then driving away from the scene without rendering aid to someone, failing to secure the gun, failing to secure the scene and leaving two people in the house. Who is to know what they might have done to the scene?? Failing to secure the gun when he knows rescue is enroute, by leaving it he puts them at possible risk and they have now walked into the crime scene and by the nature of their job will be moving things and the victim to provide care. He spent so little time in there before leaving how does Jon know what was what when he came back.
    > -The estranged wife coincidentally meets Jon on the east side of town at the exact time that he is waiting for the ambulance?? Or was he already meeting with her and in the days before cell phones, panicked and went to tell her what happened?? Or did he leave so he could escort someone out of the house, and her story is accounting for their being together in case someone saw them?? Why didn’t he cover in his report that he met with the estranged wife of the victim and notified her of the incident??
    > -Why does he feel the need to direct the ambulance in? He found the place and rescue found the place, if the ambulance wasn’t sure on the house, when they turned on the street the red flashing lights out front may have been a clue.
    > -Upon his return he has to put his finger on the trigger to unload the gun, even the chief deputy at the time questioned that but unfortunately didn’t follow up on any more questions.
    > -Instead of removing himself from this investigation, which he was personally involved, he directs others and then takes statements.
    > -The rescue squad guy and Jon have two different versions of removing the gun and where it was placed.
    > -From reading this it appears that Jon was distraught in the days following this, and there is no documentation of any contacts with him and no statement from him. Only his own police report of the facts that he felt are relevant.
    > -The chief deputy makes it a point to talk to the estranged wife about his thoughts on her and Jon’s affair. The chief deputy makes it clear that he also had a discussion with Jon about it.
    > -Notice the women downplays the affair by saying they were seeing each other. If Jon was just a friend or a person she was just talking to in a rough time, she would have been quick to say, no we weren’t dating, he is just a friend. She never denies their relationship and in my mind tries to minimize it be saying the husband never caught them. She could have said there was no reason he would have caught them nothing was going on. She emphasizes the fact that they were never caught instead of denying the affair. Of course the friend later puts that in dispute by saying the husband saw Jon sitting on her bed on one occasion.
    > -The chief deputy obviously picked up on some of this or else he wouldn’t have gone back and asked questions about who was there etc.
    > -I’m sure Jon has already been trying to find the estranged wife to tell her to be quiet but tracking her down and getting more details would be good.
    > -I’m also struck at how there is no conclusion or report summarizing everything done when this case was closed. Just some statements, nothing about anything else. But, in those days that might have been the way it was done, who knows
    > Just some thoughts…..TACO

7. Lori Musolf says:

Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. I don’t think Jon Thoma has changed much since his time in Sacred Heart as his unethical actions in law enforcement remain. The documents speak for themselves. Plain and simple, the BEST candidate for the position is Brian Cruze!

8. Ford says:

Apparently, “Dassel” doesn’t have the moral fortitude, or the strength of character, or the confidence, to actually come forward and put his/her name to their “opinion.” Instead, they troll anonymously and use strawman arguments to support their posting.

I did not write that report from Renville County. It was Thoma who chose to exhibit the bad judgment and display his lack of moral character to be sleeping with somebody’s wife and then not have the brains to recuse himself from an investigation. It was his peers at Renville that wrote this report. I’m simply bringing it out of the shadows and into the light. You apparently have a problem with the truth.

His fingerprints are not only on the gun, they are all over that “investigation” report, which means it lacks credibility. I can certainly see why the family is so upset. And it serves as an illustration of what it means to be a “good old boy” in Meeker County. It means you get to obstruct investigations whenever it seems to make you feel good.

I don’t want that lack of good judgment and moral character to be my Sheriff. Meanwhile, “Dassel” should provide some facts on what possible redeeming feature to his character makes him uniquely qualified to be Sheriff.

Cruze, on the other hand, has repeatedly demonstrated his willingness to stand up for what’s right, even when it may hurt. That buys my support. I’ll support any candidate for any public office that stands up for what’s right, good, wholesome, and in the best interest of the people of this county.

9. Dassel says:

What i am getting from all this is how pathetic and desperate you people can be and are getting.
    Thoma is still the best man for the job and has my vote, all this so called info from 23 years ago means nothing.

• sway says:

How is this “so called info”? So called info would be someone on a blog spewing information without anything to back it up. This is solid info with all the correct documentation to back it up.

10. sway says:

Great info thank you. You have swayed a decision.

11. admin says: